Celebratory events on St Helena to mark the Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty
Celebratory events on St Helena to mark the Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II Invitation Event
– Unfurling of the Union Jack
– Thursday, 2nd June 2022, 3:50pm at Signal House, Ladder Hill A ceremony will take place at Signal House, Ladder Hill, where the Union Jack will be unfurled for the first time on the newly reinstated flag Pole in honour of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s 70 year reign. Whilst this event is by invited participation only due to the limited space at Signal House, the public are invited to observe the raising of the Union Jack from the Jamestown Grand Parade or from surrounding vantage points.
– Lighting of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Beacon
– Thursday, 2nd June 2022, 8:45pm at the Sea front There is a long and unbroken tradition to celebrate Royal Jubilees in the UK and across the Commonwealth and Overseas Territories by lighting a beacon.
To mark the Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, a short ceremony will take place at the sea front, where ‘The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee’ Beacon will be lit. The event will include speeches from His Excellency the Governor, the Chief Minister, Scouts and Girl Guides and a choir will sing the winning Commonwealth song dedicated to The Queen entitled ‘A life Lived with Grace’ Beacons are also being lit in the UK and across the rest of the commonwealth on this evening. Public Event – March Past Ceremony and Service followed by Fun Day celebrations
– Friday, 3rd June 2022, 12:00noon at the Sea Front. A formal March Past ceremony of the uniformed contingents followed by a Service with all religious denominations, will take place at the sea front.
Following the Service His Excellency The Governor, Dr Philip Rushbrook will present ‘The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee’ medals to qualifying members of the front line emergency response units from the Health, Police, Prison, Fire, and Sea Rescue services.
This event will then lead into an afternoon of fun day celebrations.
Invitation Event – Plantation House Royal Garden Party, Sunday, 5th June His Excellency The Governor, Dr Philip Rushbrook will host an official garden party celebratory event to honour Her Majesty, The Queen’s 70 year reign.
This is event is by invited participation only.
Public Event – Platinum Jubilee Tree Planting – Monday, 6th June 2022, 1:00pm – 4:00pm at The Ginger Patch, High Peak, Blue Hill As part of ‘The Queen’s Green Canopy’ initiative where everyone across the United Kingdom are invited to ‘Plant a Tree for the Jubilee’ in honour of The Queen’s leadership of the Nation, the public on St Helena are also invited to plant a tree at The Ginger Patch, High Peak, Blue Hill.
The aim is to plant at least 70 endemic ‘She Cabbage’ trees which will in time create a green canopy and benefit future generations of our island. Throughout the year, there will be further opportunities to ‘Plant a Tree for the Jubilee’. Information on other tree planting events will be provided later.